NPTF PIPE GAGES
- NPTF Gages- Are considered "Dry Seal" Pipe Threads.
- NPTF Gages- Are relationship gages.
- NPTF L-1 Tolerance- Plus or minus one turn from the notch on the Plug or Small End Face of the Ring.
- NPTF L-2 Ring or L-3 Plug Tolerance- Plus or minus one half turn from the location of the L-1 gage.
- Crest Check Gage- Will be between one of these sets of Notches; the Notches are in relation to where the L -1 & L-3 of L-2 gages measured.
- MN & MNt
- B & Bt
- MX & MXt
NPTF PIPE PLUGS
- NPTF L-1 Plug Gage - Inspects the Pitch Diameter of the Hand Tight L-1 Length of Engagement.
- NPFT L-3 Plug Gage- Inspects the Taper and Wrench Tight L -3 Length of Engagement.
- Crest Check Plug Gage - 6 Step- Inspects the Truncation Limits & Taper of Minor Diameter.
NPTF PIPE RINGS
- NPTF L-1 Ring Gage- Inspects the Pitch Diameter of the Hand Tight L-1 Length of Engagement.
- NPTF L-2 Ring Gage- Inspects the Taper and Wrench Tight (L-2) Length of Engagement.
- Crest Check Ring Gage – 6 Step - Inspects the Truncation Limits & Taper of the Major Diameter.
NPTF CLASSES OF PRODUCT THREADS
- Class 1 Threads- "Acceptability is determined by coordinated use of L-1 & L2 gages for external product threads and L-1 & L-3 gages for internal product threads. Crest and root truncation is generally considered to be controlled by tooling or other means." (ANSI/ASME B1.20.5).
- Class 2 Threads- Same as above, "however, inspection of root and crest truncation is required," (ANSI/ASME B1.20.3). This means that 6-step Root & Crest Check gages or other methods are required to inspect product root & crest truncation.
NPT PIPE THREADS
- NPT Threads- Are considered "General Purpose" Pipe Threads.
- NPT Threads- Are intend to be sealed at the Crest & Root with Teflon Tape, Pipe Dope, or Other Types of Sealant.
- NPT Threads- Do not require "Crest Check," L-3, or L -2 gages.
- NPT Gages- Made to ANSI/ASME B1.20.1.