Case Studies in Maintenance and Reliability’s renowned authors describe 42 on‐the‐job events or situations ‐ case studies taken from their own work experience and from which they gained invaluable insights into a wealth of best practices in maintenance and reliability. In many cases they did not know the underlying academic theories that would have applied. More often, solutions were found by intuition and teamwork alone.
The case studies in this text are real, told by the people who were professionally and emotionally involved. The authors have resisted the temptation to offer a set of rules for all experiences. Instead, the approach is about "how we did it" rather than "how you must do it." Case study stories such as these make for an effective means of communication. They've packed this book with common sense revelations that assist the reader in improving maintenance and reliability performance.
Operations and maintenance technicians, supervisors, managers, planners, schedulers and support engineering teams, as well as designers and project managers will gain benefit from these dynamic illustrations of real‐life situations. Â Students in particular will find these true case studies to be a refreshing change of pace from the usual diet of books that emphasize theory.
- Provides logical organization with chapters grouped into broad headings, enabling readers to choose the order in which they wish to absorb the lessons (which are based on the Shewhart‐Deming Continuous Improvement cycle.)
- In addition to the Plan‐Schedule‐Execute‐Analyze elements, the authors have added Leadership and People sections.
- Each chapter has broadly similar sections, beginning with a Background to the events, a description of the key elements of the approach, and an ending that touches upon Lessons and Principles.
- Underlying theories, philosophies and detailed descriptions of methods are stripped out of the main chapters and described in Appendices, making them an optional supplementary portion of the book.
- Contains a summary which draws all principles and lessons together.
- Abundantly illustrated with charts, diagrams and tables which relate closely to the text.